What to know before you choose an egg donor
Our Southern California egg donation center understands what a big step it is to choose an egg donor. As a result, we work closely with intended parents to help them find their ideal donor and have the best chance of taking home a healthy baby.
Find high-quality donors
Women and men can rest assured that all donors in our database meet rigorous qualifications and have been carefully vetted by our agency and fertility doctors. These requirements support us in providing intended parents with high-quality eggs.
- Donors must be between 20 and 29 years of age.
- A BMI of 25 or less is required.
- Smoking and drug use are not allowed.
- Women must have a healthy family history.
- Donors undergo complete testing for sexually transmitted infections, drugs and genetic illnesses.
- All donors complete a thorough psychological evaluation.
- An FDA physical and ultrasound confirms that a donor has healthy ovaries.
As you choose an egg donor, know that these standards help our Southern California egg donation center identify women whose eggs are more likely to result in healthy babies. This supports intended parents in taking an exciting step forward on their path to parenthood.
How to choose an egg donor
Knowing how to choose an egg donor can seem overwhelming. However, creating a clear plan for selection can help intended parents find the experience simple and enjoyable.
- Discuss preferences with your partner. For intended parents who will choose an egg donor with a partner, it’s important to get on the same page about what you’re looking for in a donor. You might explore preferred ethnicity, physical characteristics, educational background, hobbies, religion and personality.
- Consider anonymity preferences. As you think about donor criteria, examine what type of relationship you would like to have with the donor. Many egg donors prefer to remain anonymous, but some are open to getting to know the intended parents. For this reason, it’s wise to choose a donor whose desire for a relationship matches your own.
- Make a list of your criteria, and decide what’s negotiable. Now that you’ve narrowed your criteria, write it down to streamline your egg donor database search. Another important step as you choose an egg donor is talking about what preferences and qualities are negotiable and which are a must.
- Maintain an open mind. As you browse the donors in our database, you might find that you’re drawn to donors who don’t meet your specific preferences. Keeping an open mind could help you choose an egg donor who is unexpectedly ideal.
- Take your time. Our Southern California egg donation center encourages intended parents to not rush the process of egg donor selection. As this is such an important decision, we support women and men in ensuring all their questions are answered and they feel confident in their final choice.
Our knowledgeable and compassionate egg donor specialists are here to support intended parents as they choose an egg donor and move closer to starting their family.
After selecting the ideal egg donor, our Southern California egg donation center will confirm the match, complete any additional donor screening, move forward with the legal contracts, organize payment and facilitate starting the egg donor cycle. During this time, we will be in regular contact to make sure intended parents remain well informed. It is an honor to support women and men in utilizing egg donation to build their family and take pride in providing optimal care through each step.
Contact us to learn more about how to choose an egg donor.